by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat
Guidelines for a New Year
- I will live in the present moment. I will not obsess about the past or worry about the future.
- I will cultivate the art of making connections. I will pay attention to how my life is intimately related to all life on the planet.
- I will be thankful for all the blessings in my life. I will spell out my days with a grammar of gratitude.
- I will practice hospitality in a world where too often strangers are feared, enemies are hated, and the “other” is shunned. I will welcome guests and alien ideas with graciousness.
- I will seek liberty and justice for all. I will work for a free and a fair world.
- I will add to the planet’s fund of good will by practicing little acts of kindness, brief words of encouragement, and manifold expressions of courtesy.
- I will cultivate the skill of deep listening. I will remember that all things in the world want to be heard, as do the many voices inside me.
- I will practice reverence for life by seeing the sacred in, with, and under all things of the world.
- I will give up trying to hide, deny, or escape from my imperfections. I will listen to what my shadow side has to say to me.
- I will be willing to learn from the spiritual teachers all around me, however unlikely or unlike me they may be.